Sunday, February 8, 2009

Church Musings

it is 10 am on sunday morning and i am struggling with the concept of church.  jason has been working a lot of overtime and worked all day yesterday, so he is exhausted and in bed.  ari and jessi have been sick all week which has required me to stay home from work for four days and not go anywhere this weekend.  

when i heard the clock chime, i wished i was at church.  but even the thought of leaving the girls with jason and going by myself has it's own negative feelings.  so i am going to simply put my thoughts down here and let it go for now.

as a child this picture, although fancier than the churches i attended, was a lot of what i understood as church.  church was a building with big wooden benches (pews) where we would spend most of the day sunday singing songs, learning about God, and talking with other christians.  most of these memories are positive ones, except for the occasional choir rehearsal that seemed to take forever, but overall, i had friends there and felt like church was a happy place.  keyword... happy place

then i went to bible college.  the first weekend my roommate and i decided we were going to find a church to go to on sunday.  it was saturday night and we opened the phone book yellow pages to churches, thinking that we could easily find a baptist church (where i went as a child) or a bible church (where my roommate went as a child).  we became very shocked to find that the yellow pages in grand rapids, mi, devote several pages to churches and we were overwhelmed.  there were churches we had never even heard of.  over the course of the years we attended many churches.  some by recommendations of school friends and some by pure curiosity.  in the two years i went to that school, i never did find a church where i felt comfortable.  there was one church downtown that i liked, but i could only go there when i was able to get a ride and i never really felt invested completely.

then i went to college of the ozarks by branson, missouri and i went to the baptist church there in branson.  it was a pretty positive experience, but again, i was not invested.  then jason and i got married and he found a job as a youth pastor in nixa, missouri.  the youth group kids were great to work with, but the church felt like a giant obstacle to the faith.  i hit my limit when i realized that a girl i was working with at the ymca was sharing with me her attempts to find a church and the judgement she received everywhere she went.  i realized that i couldn't invite her to the church where jason and i were going because she would definitely be judged their too.

so then jason and i started attending a charismatic church for the first time.  we really enjoyed this and even got to the point where i joined the choir and was having fun, when we felt a tug to another church.  along this entire journey, jason and i always saw eye to eye and had very little difficulty making the church jumps together.  it was like we were totally in sync with where we should be.  this next church was probably the most fulfilling as far as the level of service that we found there.  we loved it and were there at least two if not four days a week.  that church hurt the most.  when we first came, many people told jason that they felt that God was calling him to be the youth pastor at their church.  they prayed over him and we had confirmations all around. yet, when it came time to hire someone, they hired another person.  a person that only stayed for a couple of years and then became a pastor elsewhere.  we just stopped going to church for a while and it wasn't long before we moved to kansas city, missouri.

it took us over a year to find a place that we thought was right for us.  and again, once we found it, we wanted to be there all the time.  we would even go on vacation and when we came back sunday evening, we would stop by the church to see people on the way home.  we had our first girls and felt all of the love and support and we really felt those wounds heal from the previous hurts.  and we learned that church is not a place, it is people.  God's people carrying his message of love everywhere.  we knew this in our hearts, but it was here that we were finally able to meet with other people that were trying to use the meetings with God's people as the fuel for what they do every day.  we never heard...come to church...we are important...it's friends sunday.  we heard, now let's apply the Word to monday morning. and it was refreshing and exciting.

then...as seems to be the trend.  troubles in the water overturned our vessel and we were again fighting to stay afloat.  we quit for a while, but this time we decided to go back and try again.

so after all the history, here i am at the struggle in my heart and mind.  jason and i are in a dry spell.  we blame circumstances (working on my master's degree, bus inspection, gone for the weekend) but we have not been to church as a family since october.  i have taken the girls by myself a couple of times, but we have not gone as a family.  and this is the first time in our marriage that jason and i do not sense the same direction.

i think that jason is ready to move on and i am not sure i am ready to let go.  at this point i am wondering what i am holding on to... a memory for what was and what i wish to be?  friends that i care about?  the excitement of attending a growing church that agrees with my ideologies and theology?  will worshiping in a different place mean that i will lose the connections with the special friends i have found?  i think that is my biggest fear, but when i look at it here in print it seems that i have already lost the weekly connections, yet i will still get together with the friends i have made and will always love them.

how do you know when to leave a church?  at what point is it time? and since it took us a year to find this one in the first place, how long will our family be unconnected to a community of believers?  will we ever find a place that fits us?  or is that not the point?  have we drifted so far that we need to mold ourselves back to the right place?  i know so many people of our generation that have just stopped going to church... are these the same reasons?  i know that i need to worship and meet with other christians and i long for my children to experience that consistent connectedness to a church body.  i just pray that we can find enough answers to these questions that we can all come together with the right church family and i hope it happens soon.

12 comments:

I.H.S. said...

How do you know when it's time? Honestly, I don't think we will ever know the right time, but that's just the thing we aren't the ones that have to make that determination.

If the Lord has placed you in a ministry; then it is His responsibility to either move you or not. It's very easy becoming disenchanted with the churches we attend or the people we fellowship with,but we have to constantly remember if God placed us there it's for a reason and maybe for a season.

Speaking from complete experience with this, I would say to spend the contemplation time together in prayer. This is the only way to maintain the sameness you once had when it came to choosing ministries in the past.

Remember, the Lord deals best when there is unity. I will be praying also that God leads you in the path of His choosing.

Blessings.

mystic minstrel said...

thank you for your words of wisdom. prayer is such a simple and powerful thing and i'm afraid it is something that we have neglected lately. i am definitely going to follow that advice. God bless!

Rita Loca said...

Sometimes it comes down to asking simple questions, am I growing spiritually at this church? Is the Pastor feeding me? Are we growing as a family?
I do think we women are often more committed emotionally to a people and a place where as men tend to find it easier to move on. Maybe the HS is prodding you through your husbands wishes to move on?
I would not dare to presume to know enough to say one way or the other for your situation. These are just a few thoughts that entered my head as I read this.

The Merry Widow said...

JM-I've been there! And the nesting instinct is strong in women...
I.H.S.-Praying together is the glue that helps keep us yoked together. And what you said is key to making any decision.
MM-Been there, done that! And what Paul said in 2 Thessalonians 2, about the great falling away, has a huge bearing on finding a church.
At the church I'm at now, I told the elder interviewing me, "I'm not looking for perfection, it won't happen this side of Heaven. But I am looking for, do you take G*D seriously and do you take HIS Word seriously."
So, I am attending a tiny Brethren Assembly, they are serious about G*D and the Bible, they are serious about reaching the children of the dysfunctional families in the neighborhood and they love one another...and they are trying to keep themselves unspotted from the world.
My spirit is at rest there.
G*D bless and MARANATHA!

tmw

Anonymous said...

MM, I feel you on this one. I've been at the same dead church for eight years. I know. Pathetic, huh?
Actually, I quit going there about six months ago. We went to a new church as a family last weekend, for the first time in that long. I didn't have very many close friends at my old church like you do, so it was easier for me to move on. That must be hard for you.
I feel ya, Kim.

I try to follow my heart...which is another way of saying...follow the Holy Spirit. I firmly believe that even if you and Jason don't completely agree at the moment, you will in the long-run.

mystic minstrel said...

thanks all for the brilliant advice. as you all have seen, PF has a gift for wisdom and i have never regretted following his advice. i often regret not following his advice, however. i guess i need to realize that the friends being left behind are only true friends if we are still able to be friends...

i am also a natural loyalist, so i will sometimes support people to the extreme if i feel bonded to them.

your comments give me comfort all - thank you!

Z said...

HI, Mystic! Man,am I glad I finally got over here and read this.
I can't tell you how we're struggling right now about our church.
My husband hasn't attended in a year or so. I feel completely unfed and am grateful for other venues which do fill that 'hole' pretty well.
But, one wants to be a part of a church, where friends are, where events are enjoyed by the church community!
Ours is a pastoral problem. Our own church counsel chairman seeks marriage counseling at another church!! I'm hoping he hasn't yet heard that, last week, pastor told someone he doesn't like him!!
Yes...big problems.
I'll be praying for you and I'm glad you have the benefit of these good people's comments and have met I.H.S., a real blessing!

Thaddeus said...

I have to agree with I.H.S. There is a church for you out there, but only God can tell you where it is.

Ask Him in prayer. Tell Him you'll follow Him no matter where He leads you. That can be scary, but it is true faith.

For me, I have found the lasting peace (and fantastic community!) by joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Hold on, I'm serious! At least give them a shot. Ask Heavenly Father about them. I can promise it won't be a waste of your time.

What Do Mormons Believe?

Papa Frank said...

And what of the Mormons endorsing racism by not allowing white and black folks to marry? How does that represent the Heavenly Father?

mystic minstrel said...

thaddeus - i appreciate the kindness in which you are commenting, however, i am completely unable to attend a church that has such a completely different set of beliefs than my own.

while i seem to be floundering in the area of what church to attend, i am not floundering in my belief that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins, that there is only one level of heaven and that is for all believers and that the Bible is the only inherent and completely inspired Word of God.

i have had many discussions with mormon friends regarding these issues and the most basic idea that we were never able to reconcile is that all people are equally evil and have essentially committed murder as it was our sin that nailed Jesus to the cross. we will never be able to overcome this with works...only the blood of Jesus.

thank you again for visiting. i will continue to pray and search for God's guidance as i search for the right church - not the right religion.

Thaddeus said...

Papa Frank, no problem with interracial marriage in our Church.

mystic minstrel, it may surprise you to learn, but Mormons are not the heretics many people make us out to be. We believe in Jesus Christ's blood atonement and the words of His prophets and apostles. I also believe He answers prayers.

I understand that taking such a leap seems drastic to you. All I ask is that you inquire with God before you reject it.

Papa Frank said...

I beg to differ Thaddeus as this is not something that I have heard but rather something that I have watched my own friends go through.