Saturday, September 20, 2008

What is poverty? - Part I


terrible news about the finances of the u.s. has been all over the television today. the safety of the united states economy has become a questionable thing and i wonder what impact it will have on our society.

with all of the turmoil of this, the bombing in pakistan and the presidential election coming soon i had cause to think deeply about poverty in america. people on tv keep saying that we are losing the middle class in america and we keep heading towards a greater gap between the rich and those in poverty. this causes me to wonder. i once told my mom that i thought she grew up in poverty and she was offended. she said that she always had clothes to wear and food to eat. they weren't the richest people in town, but they had what they needed.

my family qualified for food stamps and just about every government assistance you can name. yet, i always had a place to live, clothes to wear and food to eat. i went to the movies, got christmas presents and really was able to do fun things that most kids do. in fact, sometimes i think i was able to do much more because of all the artistic events i was able to attend because my parents were involved with the productions.

so what is poverty? is it living without basic needs? is it a salary below $20.000 a year? in some ways doesn't american poverty look like middle class in other countries?

today i am just posing the questions...maybe i'll find some answers another day.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they reset the "poverty rate" in the USA to whatever income the bottom 12.5% of Americans are making.

btw - Hi! 1st time visitor, long time(?) admirer of your hubby. ;-)

Z said...

Ditto on FJ's second paragraph!

And, yes, RICH is health and happiness and faith......and attitude. I don't see the gap widening, by the way, the media spins like they want to spin and arbitrary rates are chosen by the "experts"! Who can really say who's POOR and who's RICH?

Very interesting thought to ponder...thanks!!!

The Merry Widow said...

We live below the "poverty level" ourselves, BUT, I own my house, I own my vehicle, my son owns his. All we have is monthly bills, food and necessities.
AND NO DEBT!
That is wealth!
Hi, MM!
I need to put you in my favorites...why I didn't before...don't ask! LOL!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

nanc said...

WEALTH?

you won't find it in your wallet! it is where you find your heart.

*8]

cube said...

I'm not sure where the poverty line is drawn, but I do know that people who earn far less than I do drive larger & newer vehicles, wear more expensive clothes & jewelry, eat out more often, buy brand name clothing & shoes for their kids, have flat screen tvs & buy expensive pay-per-view events, etc.

I'm thinking they're living way beyond their means. Me, I'm pretty thrifty by nature.

BTW I'm here via papa frank's blog. He said your blog was good & he was right.

Brooke said...

Like you said, if you've got adequate shelter and food to eat, and FAMILY, you're not poor!

Papa Frank said...

My family makes me the richest man ever!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mystic Minstrel.
Hmmm, I grew up in a HUD home, eating govt cheese, etc. But I never felt poor. When there's lots of family love, there's wealth. It's scary that this message is lost in today's media.

Poverty is depravity of spirit, in my opinion.

The Merry Widow said...

You are right, Pinky, it isn't what you "own" that makes you wealthy or poor, it's the number of relationships and their depth that are true wealth. You can't buy them!

tmw

mystic minstrel said...

welcome new blogger friends. i have heard much about you.

fj - thanks for the real stats
cube - thanks!
pinky - me, too. i never did get used to the government cheese, but the other stuff was good...at lease mom made it good!
merry widow - meeting new blogfriends:priceless :)

Z said...

Mystic....just to let you know I clicked on your screen name at your comment at my blog (thanks for coming by) and it doesn't bring you here...

And ya..you will meet fantastic people, especially in this corner of the blog world! Welcome!

mystic minstrel said...

z - thanks for letting me know! i think i fixed it now.

so far so good on the fantastic people front. it's a groovy corner!

Z said...

it's the best!

Thanks SO much for your comment on the Muslim guy...you captured exactly my intent. I appreciate that.....xx

Resa said...

Hey ya MM! I lurk your blog...and your honey's and always get something out of your thoughtful posts...even if sometimes it's just giggles from J's! Anyway, I'm 1/2 hour early, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear friend! Hope it's a great one!

mystic minstrel said...

resa - thanks for the birthday greeting! hope all is well with you...i'm heading to your blog next.